- An employee at McEwen Mining’s (MUX) El Gallo mine in Mexico has died after contracting COVID-19
- The employee was thought to be recovering well in hospital but passed away due to sudden complications
- This follows four employees testing positive for COVID-19 at the mine and at the company’s regional office in Sinaloa
- Currently, no severe symptoms have been reported from the company’s other confirmed cases
- McEwen Mining (MUX) is down four per cent and is trading at C$1.41 per share
An employee at McEwen Mining’s (MUX) El Gallo mine in Mexico has died after contracting COVID-19.
Four employees tested positive for COVID-19 at the mine and the company’s regional office in Sinaloa. The company revealed the death in its second quarter production report.
The employee was through to be recovering well in hospital but passed away due to sudden complications. Currently not severe symptoms have been reported from the company’s other confirmed cases.
Turning to McEwen Mining’s latest operational figures, the company produced 15,700 gold ounces and 359,400 silver ounces for a total of 19,200 gold equivalent ounce during the June quarter.
For comparison, in 2019’s second quarter McEwen produced 36,200 ounces of gold, 850,500 ounces of silver and 45,900 gold equivalent ounces.
Production was significantly impeded by suspensions and shutdowns at all four of the company’s mining operations.
The Black Fox mine in, Ontario was shut from March 26 to April 13 due to the pandemic and, as a result, only proceed 2,200 gold equivalent ounces.
The company restarted production in April, however, production numbers still remained at lower than expected grades.
Further, McEwan was hit with operational issues outside of the coronavirus, which also delayed and set back production.
Mining was suspended at the San Jose mine in March and didn’t restart until late April. Operations at the site have remain stunted due to the Mexican Government’s imposed travel restrictions, which have hindered the company’s staff returning to the remote site.
The Gold Bar mine in Nevada was closed from April 1 to May 4, with full operations scheduled to restart in August.
McEwen Mining (MUX) is down four per cent and is trading at C$1.41 per share at 2:15 pm EDT.