- PreveCeutical Medical (CSE:PREV) has contracted UniQuest to develop a nasal spray formulation which may potentially deter COVID-19
- The development process will involve the application of PreveCeutical’s CBD Sol-Gel technology
- Independent researchers have found that CBD extract may potentially reduce SARS-CoV-2’s ability to infect nasal mucosa tissue
- Development should take approximately three months and will be followed by pre-clinical testing overseen by PreveCeutical
- PreveCeutical Medical (PREV) is down 8.33 per cent and is currently trading at C$0.055 cents per share
PreveCeutical Medical (CSE:PREV) has contracted UniQuest to develop a nasal spray formulation which may potentially deter COVID-19.
The development process will involve applying CBD Sol-Gel technology, which PreveCeutical has conducted research one.
Sol-Gel is a delivery system which provides therapeutic cannabinoids to the brain via the nose. The formulation rapidly gels upon contact with mucosal tissue, and gradually releases the CBD to the brain.
PreveCeutical recently completed its cannabinoid Sol-Gel Program, which was successful. The company now believes that it may have applications in deterring COVID-19 infections, once further developed.
Independent researchers have found that a CBD extract has anti-inflammatory properties. It also has the potential to reduce SARS-CoV-2’s ability to infect nasal mucosa tissue.
PreveCeutical will be responsible for providing this CBD extract to the development program.
The company’s CEO, Stephen Van Deventer, welcomed the exciting initiative for the company.
“Our research on incorporating cannabinoid in the Sol-Gel delivery system commenced in July 2017, and recently completed the ‘in vitro’ proof of concept.
“Having such an opportunity now to develop a CBD Sol-Gel formulation, which could potentially help in COVID-19 exposed patients, is very exciting to us.
“PreveCeutical is hopeful to be a part of the search for the COVID-19 pandemic solution,” he said.
Development of the COVID-19 CBD Sol-Gel formulation should take approximately three months. When it is completed, PreveCeutical will conduct and oversee pre-clinical testing, and explore fast-track options with governmental regulators.
The company will have the rights to any intellectual property which arises from the development program.
PreveCeutical Medical (PREV) is down 8.33 per cent and is trading at C$0.055 cents per share at 3:11pm EDT.